Sunday, February 14, 2010

Goodbye Bobby- a tribute to my friend

I had been trying Bobby’s number and, looking repeatedly for him in social networking sites, to my surprise he was not of the kinds to disappear in the crowd. But time is mightier than people and it shapes them to adequacy, so I slowly accepted that Bobby has changed. He was no more the crazy, rambling, ready to blast friend of mine. Or perhaps he accepted my timidity and walked out of hope.





Of all the people who taught me to speak Bobby was the first one. The moonlighted Basket ball court of college was our rehearsal yard. We sat for hours discussing giddy politics, friends and jokes. Often times it ended with “you are so irresponsible” and “you are so dumb” expressions. Two poles of a communal impression, one was fond of crowd and other inclined to retreat.



The girls he chose were crazier than him, none of them was ever sure that she liked him. So they kept coming and going and, surfacing and transferring his melodrama to me and his other friends. Our world gets as confused and messed up as we in ourselves are. Sometimes, I wondered if he ever thought before telling everyone that he had been dumped again.



I remember the day our bike crashed into herbage and, I tried hard to argue but ended up laughing. It was so hard to anger him when needed and when it wasn’t needed he was boiling like a volcano and often people who knew him felt like sitting on one. The last time we spoke, it was unbelievably difficult to stop him from landing in Vadodara, where me and my friend were stuck in riots.



But, despite all that he was and all that he did, he was of the very few people who were actually loved. His irresponsibility started at himself and ended at his friends: He was the first person to be relied upon at crucial times, a friend for whom his friends came before himself. Sporadically, I feel if he really knew his time was short here and so he never wasted it on preparing for future as we all did. May be he knew that when we stop living as ourselves,we start living through our friends.



Mankind is a little hard to understand: we have more words for abuse and few for love. We hesitate most to say that we love people rather than telling them "Fuck you" and "Go to hell". And those who say I love you with their being, we take them as absurd and dizzy.Here flowers sell cheap and guns price high. But, crazier people have something of great sanity in them: crazier one appears on the outside, wiser one is inside. This world has its own reasons to love bonkers; it misses jokers and rebels more than father figures.



Bobby, my friend I miss you and, wherever you are may you make as many friends as you had here.

2 comments:

Aware N Alive said...

There are very few people who can freely and clearly express their feelings for Bobby. I am glad that you are one of those.

We all hear but never realize that life is too short and this moment may be the last time we ever speak or see someone. Indeed life was too short for him and none of us ever realized that before it was too late. He has touched many hearts and you could always count on him when in trouble. Though he was definitely a short and hot tempered person with sudden rush of anger but when he calms down there can be nobody as humble as him.

I wish I could have talked to him one last time and spoken the unsaid words. I will always miss him and remember him as caring, loving person. May god give him love and solace which he was craving for and may god give his family the strength to accept the loss of the beloved son.

Mom said...

Thanks for your comment....I have always felt that whatever we genuinely feel inside never goes in vain....If you feel it, he must be hearing it somewhere....The words are no more unsaid...

Love

Ashima