Thursday, October 22, 2009

UGLY IS BEAUTIFUL!!!





My granny used to have a mango tree in her lawn. One evening strolling around her garden, I saw a chameleon sitting on the mango tree. The chameleon had just jumped from the creeper and, its color was slowly changing from green to brown. Suddenly a thought pumped in my mind “It is a chameleon”, my lips curled downwards.

Granma was watching me .She walked slowly to me and asked “Isn’t it amazing how it changes its color?” I looked at her and said” But, it’s ugly. It is a chameleon Granma.”Granma smiled.

Few days later we walked to the market and Granma hit into a lorry accidently. Lorry bashed into a scooter that was driven by a young guy. He fell over a bucket of tomatoes. A bunch of young boys cracked up. Looking around he yelled “You ugly old women, look what you have done?”

Those words pinched my heart. Later that night I asked mom “Ma is grandma ugly?”

“Who told you that?” Ma asked

“The guy at the market said she was old and ugly.”

“But, she is the most beautiful women I have ever met. That means you have not noticed her properly?”Ma replied

I went to the Granma’s room. She was sleeping. I looked at her face. That was the most beautiful face I had ever seen: a face filled with compassion, love and grace.

It was beautiful because I was ready to see it. I could feel it because I wanted to feel her. Since then I have never seen an ugly thing and. even today I can tell you that old is beautiful and chameleons are fascinating.

See without judgment, hear without prejudice and feel without inhibitions: heaven is here, here is heaven. All is beautiful.

7 comments:

Aware N Alive said...

Ugly means ugly...beauty means beauty..

Ashima said...

Ha ha srinivasa as you say....But, can we set a universal standard for ugly or beauty????I think it depends more on the perciever....

Ashima said...

You look like an interesting person.......I am trying to see your writing....Please leave the adress of your blog.....Keep blogging......:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashima! Just browsed through these pages. Refreshing. Loved it. And am much thankful to Priya to introduce me to this.
Mohit

Ashima said...

Thanks Mohit.....It is a pleasure....

Gladwin David said...

Hi,

Its wonderful to go through your blog. Beauty is intrinsic whereas people considers extrinsic.

Best regards,

Gladwin David

Ashima said...

Thanks Gladwin.